Clinical Lab Scientist - Microbiology
Sun Genomics is working to change the way we view our microbiome in health and wellness. We are seeking a passionate California CLS (Clinical Lab Scientist) or California CMSL (Clinical Microbiologist Scientist License) to join us and help to solve a challenging set of problems in metagenomic analysis for diverse microbial populations and microbial culturing.
At Sun Genomics, we’re hiring highly technical and experienced professionals to learn and implement mid to small scale solutions for Sun Genomics' clinical laboratory.
Basic Function and Scope of the Position:
The world’s first whole genome microbiome sequencing center seeks a talented individual to join the laboratory team in San Diego, CA. The CLIA laboratory seeks to improve healthcare through the implementation and advancement of Illumina's Next Generation Sequencing technologies. Data generated by the CAP accredited and CLIA-certified laboratory impacts lives around the world and we aim to continue to validate the clinical utility of whole genome microbiome sequencing and drive adaptation into routine clinical testing.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Perform high complexity laboratory tests according to approved policies and procedures for all phases of testing; pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic
· Extract, QC, Prep, and Sequence patient samples for whole genome sequencing with a high level of reproducibility.
· Perform troubleshooting, maintenance and calibration of instrumentation and equipment used to perform the testing.
· Proficiency in generating libraries for sequencing experiments, including running protocols and quality control methods.
· Trouble-shoot and optimize sequencing protocols.
· Assist in developing new NGS protocols.
· Accurately maintain written reports and organize data.
· Review current literature pertaining to NGS technology, oncology, epigenetic, and related assays.
· Follow quality control and quality assessment programs.
Evaluate test results for completeness, accuracy and quality.
· Tracking Quality Control values and participates in Quality Reviews as a part of the laboratory Quality Management System.
· Directly revise laboratory documents including policies, procedures, and forms. Follow all safety policies and procedures.
· Manage goals within defined target timeframe, may manage small technical teams to achieve their goals.
· Perform data analysis and present results.
· Maintain a basic understand of optics and robotic systems
· Perform other duties as assigned.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Required Educational Background:
· B.S. degree or equivalent in chemistry, biological sciences, or related field with current California CLS or CGMBS license required.
Preferred Experiential Background:
· 4+ years’ experience in a CLIA environment.
· Knowledge of technology development in a fast paced biotech environment.
· Excellent laboratory production and experimentation skills.
· Technically sound; show potential for technical proficiency and scientific creativity
· Sound understanding of the latest genomics technologies, methodologies, and practices.
· Basic understanding of optical and robotic systems.
· Strong data analysis skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions from vast amounts of data.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook required.
· Good communication and team management skills.
· Must be very detail oriented.